Turkish Aid Boat Attacked, At Least 10 Killed Off Gaza Coast

31 May 2010

Update 10 pm: All boats have been brought into Ashdod port. At least 32 activists from boats other than the Mavi Marara have been detained. A U.S. citizen was shot in the head with a tear gas canister at a demonstration at the Qalandiya checkpoint in the West Bank against the flotilla attack. She has reportedly lost an eye.
Combination of footage from the ship:

Update: Israeli Military, Activists confirm 10 dead
Update 3pm: 5 boats towed to Ashdod, location of Mavi Marara still unconfirmed. Islamic Movement in Israel leader Sheikh Raed Salah reportedly in critical condition after being shot in the head aboard the Mavi Marara. Some injured already in Tel Aviv hospitals.
Early Monday morning Israeli warships and Apache helicopters surrounded the Aid flotilla organized by the Turkish humanitarian organization Insani Yardim Vakafi (IHH) and the Free Gaza Movement. Israeli forces boarded one of the Turkish ships leading the convoy, the Mavi Marmara, and killed at least 10 people (Israeli Army Radio reported up to 19 killed). Activists report 15 killed and over 50 wounded as the military opened fire once on the boat. Al Jazeera news network, which has a camera team on the Mavi Marmara, broadcast footage of several people wearing blood-covered life vests. The ships, which included cargo ships carrying 10,000 tons of aid and over 700 activists from 50 countries, were approached by Israeli war vessels in international waters, 65 km off the coast of Gaza. The flotilla reportedly slowed and turned further west, attempting to avoid a confrontation at night. The boats are now reportedly being towed to Haifa, rather than Ashdod where Israel announced it would take activists and detain them, presumably to avoid the media waiting.
Israeli activists have announced an emergency demonstration in Haifa against the unlawful killing of these civilians.
Protests also broke out in Turkey when news of the attack spread, hundreds of supporters attempted to storm the Israeli consulate in Istanbul but were stopped by Turkish riot police.

Below is the report from Al Jazeera sent from the Mavi Marara just before communications were cut.