Status of the Village of Al Jab’a

25 May 2015

Al Jab’a is a small village situated in central West Bank not far from the 1948 Green Line and is home to approximately 800 Palestinians. As the village is surrounded by multiple illegal Israeli settlements in the vicinity of Gush Etzion, the Palestinians of Al Jab’a must contend with an alarming amount of discrimination. Al-Jab'a-IIThis includes the confiscation of their land by the Israeli government, the destruction of their olive trees at the hands of Jewish settlers and more. Indeed, Israel’s policies towards the residents of Al Jaba are structured in such a way so as to encourage these Palestinians to give up and leave their homes and the surrounding area.

Israeli policies have had a profoundly negative effect upon the living conditions of Al Jab’a’s Palestinian residents. Israel has near total control over the distribution of water in the West Bank and as such over 80% of the water is siphoned off to Israel, leaving only 20% for Palestinian use. In Al Jab’a the situation is even worse as the Israeli army refused to distribute any water to the village for over a month now. As such, Palestinian villagers have had to find alternative ways by which to obtain this vital resource.

Movement in and out of the village of Al Jab’a is also heavily restricted by Israel. This is largely due to the roadblock put in place across the only road leading into the village by the Israeli army since the year 2000. Al-Jab'aAs such, it is impossible for vehicles of any kind to enter Al Jab’a; anyone seeking access to the village must do so on foot. Likewise, resources, furniture etc. can only be transported into the village by having them carried on foot across the roadblock. The Israeli army often sets up a temporary military checkpoint at the site and soldiers have often harassed and arbitrarily detained Palestinians entering and exiting Al Jab’a. Israel’s refusal to provide Al Jab’a with water, coupled with the continued enforcement of the roadblock has forced Palestinians to use donkeys to transport containers of water to their homes.